History of CNS
The original school started in 1832 and was one of the oldest in Ireland. It was located behind Coffey’s, next to the graveyard. When it first started it was a two-teacher school. With the growth of Caragh village, the number of children on the roll doubled between 1945 and 1960. A third teacher was appointed in 1949. By 1960, it was a four-teacher school and there were 167 children on the roll. Paddy Power was appointed principal in 1955.
As a result of the increase in numbers a new site across the road was purchased from Coffey’s and a new school building opened in 1963. This new school consisted of four classrooms, a library, toilets and cloakroom. This part of the building was still in use until February 2010. Numbers continued to increase and, as a result, an extension consisting of five classrooms was built in the 1990s.
As the school continued to grow and develop, building of a new school began in January 2010. The first phase, consisting of classrooms, offices, GP room and a library, was completed in December 2010. The school was completed in the Summer of 2011 with Mr. Danny Chanelor as Principal.
Shortly after and with an enrolment around 540 children, Ms Mary Dunne became principal and led the school for 6 years before retiring in 2019 after 35 years in the school.
The school currently has just under 500 children enrolled, with 19 class teachers, 8 support teachers and 6 SNAs, 2 office staff and caretaker. Alan Hobbins succeed Mary Dunne as principal following her retirement.
We are very proud of our school and the role it plays in our community. We have strong links within our community, with our Parish, our sporting clubs and local businesses.
More than that our school serves the children and families of our community. We welcome all children and all families to Caragh National School.
We have strong traditions in place in our school, in Sport, Music, Technology and much more.